Hip Roof Woes

Not exactly “woes”, but they are a pain in the butt. If it wasn’t for this handy hip roof calculator, I would still be trying to work out the angles: http://www.blocklayer.com/roof/roofeng.aspx

 

We didn’t get the roof sheathed, but we did get all the roof trusses installed this weekend. We also got a visit from the roofer, Allan. He stopped by to check out the job site and verify we had all the right materials.

 

Actually Allan stopped by at just the right time. I had the clever idea of turning the skylight sideways to fit better in the extension. Right when we were starting to frame it, he arrived and mentioned that the flashing is customized to fit vertically, not horizontally. We flipped the skylight the correct way, but it doesn’t fit quite as nicely. Next weekend I may move one of the ceiling joists over to give better access to the skylight and the attic storage space.

 

Other then that, all we have to do is put up a bunch of blocking, saw off the tips of the roof joists so they are even, and put the sheathing on. With any luck we’ll get that finished and start on the front extension next weekend.

Another dome weekend.

We played hooky from work for a half-day today so we could get some additional build time on Sunday night.  The plan was to build out the back extension and get a roof over it. We got half way done with all three walls and the ceiling joists up but no roof rafters yet. Temperatures were once again in the upper 90s (or 38 liters for you metric people) and the mosquito population is stable at a quadrillion.

The back extension is framed with 2x8s for maximum strength and insulation. However, we bought the cheapest windows we could for the back since we won’t keep it heated. We also bought a skylight at the last minute to reduce the need for lighting and to keep the solar electric batteries from freezing in the winter (the back extension faces due south.)

We mistakenly used most of the 20’ 2x8s on the walls and didn’t leave any for the roof joists so we also took a quick trip into Randle to pick up some 14 foot 2x8s. Fitting those into an 8 foot trailer was exciting. Every bump threatened to send the load tumbling. We’ll be using them on our next trip down when we finish the hip roof.

The back extension has twice as much blocking as a normal wall. We wanted to make sure that the top piece of foundation plywood overlapped onto the walls by at least a foot. That will firmly hold the walls onto the foundation without needing a ton of tie straps (which we also put on.) The down side is that we had to add the second layer of blocking so the plywood has a nailing edge. The extra two hours of work probably tripled the uplift strength so it was a good tradeoff. Cost was probably an extra $125 for the blocking and 4-5 additional pieces of plywood.