Assembling the solar panels Fall 2013 harvest The ‘monster’ inverter and completed battery box in the back extension. A working sink! Working on trim on the ceiling Sara working on staining cabinets & drawers We haven’t made it to the dome as much since Neil bought a restaurant. Neil trying to get a better… Continue reading Garlic
Neil preparing the back extension floor for linoleum. Sara spreading adhesive for the cork flooring in our bedroom. Bedroom cork floor Picture break after setting up the solar panel pole after some digging and rebar installation before a concrete pour. Neil’s bedroom cork floor Sara painting the front steps Tile installation in the front entry… Continue reading Floors & a toilet
Here is a copy of the cabin floor plan. There are some minor changes, but the layout is the same.
We finally have some news-worthy updates to the dome blog. For the past 6 months or so we’ve been working on the inside structure, wiring, and plumbing, none of which makes for very interesting pictures (oh look, it’s the same wall, but this time there is a wire stapled to it!) The latest news is… Continue reading It’s starting to look like a real house!
Well, we are finally putting up paneling – something we expected to do a couple of month ago until we found out about the additional fire proofing foil paper that was needed. On the bright side, seeing the dome covered in what is essentially tinfoil is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It looks like… Continue reading Echo, echo, echo…
We didn’t go to the dome this weekend, but here is the update for the last one. We packed up and left Thursday night so we would be ready for the insulation/vapor barrier inspection on Friday. We had about an hour or two worth of work to do before the inspector came. Since he could… Continue reading We struck water!
People have asked why there have been no new pictures and text posted in awhile. The answer is not that we haven’t been working, but that the work is tedious and not very “showy”. The insulation triangles have to be carefully fitted and fluffed out to leave no gaps where air could infiltrate. The vapor… Continue reading Where are the updates?!?!
After being lazy and taking off TWO weekends (Oct 26th and Nov 9th) out of the past twenty some, we built the front entry wall. There isn’t too much to say: it’s a wall, it’s made from 2x8s, it has a hole for a door, and it was complicated to cut all of the needed… Continue reading Entry Wall
So we passed our first framing inspection on Monday. I say ‘first’ since we will need another framing inspection when the interior walls are up. We initially failed the framing inspection a few weeks earlier. Our shear schedule (the nailing pattern in the plywood) didn’t match what was called for in the engineering drawings… Continue reading Passed Framing Inspection!
So I guess I wouldn’t be able to make it as a professional blogger if I can’t even manage one post a week. These last two weeks we’ve concentrated on the front extension. The front extension is made of arches that fit to the dome extension opening and kind of makes the dome look… Continue reading Won’t quit my day job